Here is the beginner’s guide to some of the best online data analytics courses out there.
Data analytics or data science or the Big data as some people may put it, is one of the booming fields in today’s date. Analytics engineer is in huge demands and their salaries are skyrocketing. While some may believe that, as it is solely based on programming, only CS and IT grads can go into the analytics stream. That is just a myth. Data analytics is a totally new field which has come into the picture in the recent years. It mainly involves gathering a mass of data, sorting out relevant information out of it by performing analytical functions and making decisions based on the sorted data. If you have basic knowledge of programming languages and like to play around with numbers, then this is the field you can try out.
Given below is a list of online learning platforms offering online courses on data analytics starting from very basic to getting a professional online degree in data analytics. Some of these programs even give you a chance to work on live industry related projects while pursuing the course.
Big Data University
Started by IBM as an initiative to make up for skilled professionals in the field of data analytics, this site is one of the free and popular sources of learning data science. You may need to spend 3-5 hours as a beginner into the course.
- All the courses start at a beginner’s level and go up to intermediate level.
- No fee is charged for any course.
- One of the best source for any novice looking to learn data science.
- Along with English, courses are also offered in Japanese, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Advanced level courses are under development and not yet fully available.
- No hands-on projects or completion certificate is provided.
DataCamp is offering all kinds of courses in programming languages R and Python. The courses are ranging from introductory levels and going up to advanced level specialization in particular analytics domains.
- One of the best platform to learn R programming.
- Prices start from 29$/month or 300$/year, which gives you access to all the courses.
- Introductory modules in each course are free to view.
- Specializations are offered in Data Visualization, Data Manipulation, Applied Finance, Case studies and other domains.
- No hands-on project is offered, however, course completion certificate is provided.
Unlike DataCamp, which focuses only on R and Python, Code Academy is offering a wide range of courses. In addition to that, all the courses are free for anyone, no monthly subscription is required to start learning.
- At an additional fee of 19.99$/month, you can get hands-on projects, personalized assistance and learning plan, and quizzes.
- It does offer specialized courses on data analytics, however they do not offer any courses on R language.
- The best thing about Code Academy is you can start learning anything for free and if you wish, you may later upgrade to the Pro version and access realistic projects.
Explore Data Science
Started by American consulting firm Booz Allen, this platform is offering self-paced courses in the field of data science. The main advantage is the association with the respectable Booz Allen firm, although now it is managed by Metis.
- Introductory level courses start from linear algebra, statistics, and basic programming, while the advanced level courses on predictive modeling and distributed ecosystems are also offered.
- For a price of 99$, you can get a two-month access to over 40 hours of content.
- You get to work with real datasets, interactive tasks, and puzzles.
- Along with a course completion certificate, you even get award, points, and badges on each stage.
Data Analyst Nanodegree
(Offered by Udacity)
Started in 2016, the nano degree is a 12-month online program where starting from basics you can work your way up to a professional working professional.
- The cost of the program is Rupees 9800/month, however, if you finish it within 12 months you get a 50% tuition fee refund.
- The course is co-created by Facebook and MongoDB
- A seven-day free trial is also available if you just want to see how the nano degree works.
- You get a job ready project portfolio, one on one guidance, resume review and career assistance, too.
Udemy’s Python and MySQL courses
Udemy is one of the biggest players in the field of MOOCs. They are offering over 40,000 courses across various genres from primary education to personal development.
- Although the courses are priced at somewhere between 50$ to 195$, you can easily get any course for 19$-29$ as they are always offering some discounts.
- Courses are self-paced and designed by professionals in each field.
- Each course comes with pre-designed exercises with guidelines and solutions.
- You get a course completion certificate.
Apart from the above-mentioned courses, there are plenty more analytics courses out there. EdX, DataQuest, and CodeSchool are also offering similar courses, while in India Jigsaw academy is offering all kinds of courses with prices starting from 5000 rupees for a week long course. Do check that out, too.