First of all, Embedded c is a language which originates from c language but we have to interface with the electronics so we have done some modification in ‘c’ for the use of hardware. In this way, we can easily understand the interfacing between Hardware and Software.
C is a general-purpose, high-level language that was developed by Dennis M. Ritchie to develop the UNIX operating system at AT and T Bell Laboratory. C was originally first implemented on the DEC PDP-11 computer in 1972.
An embedded system is an application or we can say a software that contains at least one programmable computer (typically in the form of a microcontroller, a microprocessor, different hardware or digital signal processor chip) and which is used by individuals who are, in the main, unaware that the system is computer-based.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN C AND EMBEDDED C:
- C have while loop for conditions but in Embedded C it in counted as a super loop or Endless loop is required because we have no operating system to return to means our application will loop on until the system power is removed.
- C is generally used for software application while Embedded C is used for the Microcontroller based application.
- In Embedded c we focused on the high level of code optimization but in c our main focus is on time and Efficiency.
4.C programs run in console Hence we can see the output through desktop but embedded c programs run in real time constraints Hence output is not available in OS
- C is a type of high-level language but Embedded C is just an extension of C.
- An Operating system is essential to function in C but Embedded C can work with or without an Operating system.
- We do not bother about memory resources in C but in Embedded C we have limited resources only memory allocation of the embedded processor.
- In C Input can be given to the program while it is running while only the pre-defined input can be given to the running program in Embedded C
9.C has a free-format of program coding while The source code format in Embedded C is dependent upon the type of microprocessor/ microcontroller that is used in Embedded C.
- Examples of Applications in C: logical programs and
- examples of real-time Applications in Embedded C : DVD, Digital camera, etc.